New Mexico Junior College


Student Records

Ask NMJC Help Desk

(575) 492-2577
Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM
Located in the Ben Alexander Center

Welcome to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records!

The Office of the Registrar provides leadership in all registration related functions and maintains and protects student academic records. We also monitor course offerings, enrollment history, grades, and degrees awarded. Our office is part of the Enrollment Management department and our staff is cross-trained to assist students with all matters regarding enrollment to the college. We are the official source for all student academic records and are responsible for overseeing and managing all registration functions.

This Office of the Registrar's mission is to preserve academic integrity, ensure adherence to academic policy, and safeguard the security of academic records. Other functions associated with the our office include but are not limited to:
  • End-of-term grade processing
  • Process grade changes
  • Enrollment and degree verifications
  • Transcript processing
  • Oversee graduation
  • Award degrees and certificates
  • Create and distribute official college diplomas
  • Residency determination
  • Veteran Services
  • International Student Services
Student academic records that are maintained by the Office of the Registrar include admission forms, course schedules, degree plans, transcripts, and grades.
New Mexico Junior College has retained the services of National Student Clearinghouse to manage requests/ordering, processing, and secure delivery of official transcripts.
Ordering and tracking your transcript has never been so quick and easy. National Student Clearinghouse offers:
  • Online ordering
  • Fast and secure processing
  • Supports payment by debit/credit card
  • Easy to track transcript requests
  • Automated email notification sent when transcripts are processed and received
The cost of a transcript is $5.00. Click on the picture below to order your transcript.
Address Change
You can update your address, phone numbers, personal email, etc. through the T-bird Web Portal or by one of the following:
  • Visit or call the NMJC Help Desk (575) 492-2577  (Ben Alexander Student Learning Center)
Name Change
To officially change your name, you will need to present documentation and a Personal Information Change Form to the NMJC Help Desk. Documentation examples include:
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Driver’s License
  • Social Security Card
  • Court order for legal name change
Academic Counselor
Counselors are available to assist you with identifying a major that meets your educational and career goals. You are encouraged to meet with a Counselor to discuss the possible impact that changing your major can have on the length of time it takes to complete your degree. 
Financial Aid
If you have applied for or are currently receiving financial aid, changing your major may affect your eligibility. Please contact the Financial Aid Office before changing your major. 
Change of Major Form
Click here to access the Change of Major form or visit the NMJC Help Desk.
Residency Information
An individual must establish legal residency in New Mexico before he or she is entitled to pay in-state tuition rates. The New Mexico Department of Higher Education establishes residency requirements for tuition purposes. These requirements apply to US citizens and those who have applied for or received Permanent Resident status (see additional information on non-citizens below). A student is classified as a resident or non-resident for tuition purposes based on information supplied on the admissions application.

Am I eligible for residency for in-state tuition purposes?

There are four basic residency requirements:

  • 12 Months Consecutive Residence
    A student must physically reside in New Mexico for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which classification is requested.  Note: A student must be at least 19 years old to establish residency apart from parents or guardians. 
  • Financial Independence
    A student cannot be approved for residency who is financially dependent upon their parents or legal guardians who are non-residents of New Mexico.  A minor's residence is presumed to be the same as his/her parents' or legal guardian's.
  • Written Declaration of Intent
    This declaration of intent is included on the Petition for In-State Residency Form.
  • Overt Acts
    Residency regulations require the completion of at least two overt acts which support the student's declaration of intent to become a permanent resident. 
    • Copy of parents or guardians' previous year federal income tax (only if applicant is financially dependent)
    • NM high school transcript confirming attendance within the past 12 months
    • NM drivers license or ID card issued prior to the first day of the term
    • Proof of payment of NM state income tax for the previous year
    • Evidence of employment in NM
    • NM vehicle registration issued prior to the first day of the term
    • NM voter registration issued prior to the first day of the term
    • Proof of residential property ownership in NM
    • Rental agreement in NM
    • Utility bill in NM
    • Other  evidence which would reasonably support the individual's intent to establish and maintain NM residency (as determined by NMJC Registrar)

A brochure detailing residency requirements and restrictions is available here or at the NMJC Help Desk.

How do I petition for New Mexico residency for tuition purposes?

Students who would like to petition to change their residency classification should complete the Petition for In-State Tuition Classification. Once the petition form is completed, it needs to be submitted to the NMJC Registrar's Office. The deadline to file a residency petition is the Friday prior to the beginning of each semester. Once the semester has begun, residency classification can not be changed for that semester.

What if I am a non-US citizen?

Non-citizens who are lawfully in the United States and have applied for or obtained permanent status from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services , or non-citizens who serve on active duty in the armed forces of the United States, may establish residency by meeting the durational and intent requirements. Any non-citizens on other visas (student, diplomatic, visitor or visiting scholar visa, including spouses and dependents) are non-residents for tuition purposes.

Any person who attended high school in New Mexico for at least one year and received a High School diploma or High School Equivalency Credential such as a GED from a NM institution regardless of immigration status may establish residency.
Grades are based upon the quality of work done, that is, upon actual accomplishment in courses offered for credit. Grades indicating student standing are issued at the end of each semester. Mid-semester preliminary grades are for advisory purposes and are made known to students for counseling purposes. The mid-semester grades will not appear on the student’s college record.
Grade Distribution / Letter Grades
Students attending New Mexico Junior College will be evaluated according to the grading scale shown below:
90 - 100 = A
80 -  89 = B
70 -  79 = C
60 -  69 = D
0 -  59 = F
The appropriate department and / or professor will determine the grade calculations for a course. Please refer to that section of the course syllabus for details. This policy will not apply to Nursing and some technical / vocational programs. Refer to each program for the specific grading scale and grade calculation used.
Definition of Letter Grades
A—Superior     Honor grade indicating excellence earned as a result of consistently superior examination scores; consistently accurate and prompt completion of assignments; ability to deal resourcefully with ideas; and superior mastery of pertinent skills.
B—Better than Average    Honor grade indicating competence earned as a result of high examination scores; accurate and prompt completion of
assignments; ability to comprehend ideas; commendable mastery of pertinent skills; and promise of continued success in sequential courses.
C—Average    Standard college grade indicating successful performance earned as a result of satisfactory examination scores; generally accurate and prompt completion of assignments; ability to comprehend ideas; fair mastery of pertinent skills; and sufficient evidence of ability to warrant entering sequential courses.
D—Passing     Substandard grade indicating the meeting of minimum requirements earned only as a result of low examination scores; generally inaccurate, incomplete, or late assignments; inadequate grasp of ideas; barely acceptable mastery of pertinent skills; or insufficient evidence of ability to make advisable the enrollment in sequential courses.
F—Failing     Unsatisfactory grade indicating that the work has been wholly unsatisfactory, and no credit will be given.
I—Incomplete    A grade of “I” will be given only when a student has successfully completed a substantial portion of the work, but some unforeseen event occurs which is beyond the student’s control.  A substantial portion of the work would be something in the range of 80-85% or more of the work.  The student, unless incapacitated, is responsible for notifying the instructor of the event and requesting an incomplete grade.  The following Incomplete
Grade Regulations apply:
·  If the criteria above are met, the instructor and student enter into a completion contract.  The contract specifies what the student must do to complete the course and receive a grade.  The method used to calculate the final grade must also be stated.  The burden for completing the work resides with the student. The instructor will provide minor assistance to help the student complete the work.  The instructor, the student, and the appropriate Dean sign the contract. If the student is incapacitated, the student does not have to sign.  A copy goes to the student, the instructor, and the Associate Registrar.
·  The student must complete all course work no later than the end of the next long semester.
·  The instructor specifies on the contract what grade the student will receive if he/she does not complete the required coursework.  When the student completes the required coursework, the instructor computes the final grade and turns in a grade change form to the appropriate academic Dean for processing. If no grade change form is processed because the student failed to complete the work in the specified time, the Associate Dean will change the “I” grade into the grade specified on the contract at the end of the appropriate semester.
W—Withdrawal     A student who must withdraw or drop from a course must report to the Office of Enrollment Management for instructions on the proper procedure. The student who does not follow the formal procedure may be given an “F” grade in each course irrespective of the withdrawal date. The student who officially drops a course will be assigned a “W.” A student will not be allowed to drop / withdraw from a course during the last two weeks of a regular semester or the last week of a summer session.
Audit        Students auditing a course must meet course prerequisites, are expected to attend all class sessions, but are not required to complete assignments. Courses taken for audit will appear on the student’s transcript as AU with no credits recorded and no grades assigned. Courses taken for audit cannot be used to meet a course pre- or co-requisite.
CR (Credit)      Some courses are offered as Credit / No Credit. Students must meet all minimum requirements for the course to receive credit. CR is the equivalent of a C or better grade. A grade of CR is not computed in the GPA but the student will receive credit for the course.
NC (No Credit)        In courses taken for CR / NC, students who do not satisfactorily complete minimum course requirements will receive NC. A grade of NC is not computed in the GPA and the student will not receive credit for the course.
P (Pass) / F (Fail)     Some courses are offered as P / F. Students who meet all minimum requirements for the course receive a P, but the grade is not computed in the GPA although the student will receive credit for the course. In courses taken for P/F, students who do not satisfactorily complete the minimum course requirements will receive F.
S (Satisfactory) / U (Unsatisfactory)      Some courses are offered as S / U. Students who meet all minimum requirements for the course receive a S, but the grade is not computed in the GPA although the student will receive credit for the course.
U (Unsatisfactory)     In courses taken for S / U, students who do not satisfactorily complete the minimum course requirements will receive U. A grade of U is not computed in the GPA and the student will not receive credit for the course.
Note: Some schools, scholarships and honorary societies do not accept CR /NC or S / U grading system and / or convert grades of CR to C and NC to F. Likewise S may be converted to a C and U may be converted to an F. Students planning to transfer to another institution should talk to an academic advisor at that institution about possible consequences of CR/NC grades.
Grade Points
Grade points, per semester hour, are assigned as follows:      
A     4 grade points per credit hour
B     3 grade points per credit hour
C     2 grade points per credit hour
D    1 grade point per credit hour
F     0 grade points per credit hour
W    0 grade points per credit hour
Grade Reports
Students can obtain their grades at the end of each semester through the T-Bird Web Portal. If mid-semester grades are issued in a course, those may be accessed through the student’s T-Bird Web Portal account; access to the T-Bird Web Portal is on the NMJC official web site,
Grade Changes
Any grade change on record with the Office of Enrollment Management will be made only after having been submitted in writing by the professor
concerned, approved by the appropriate academic Dean, and the Vice President for Instruction.
Grade Appeals
If a student has reason to believe that a final grade he / she has received is incorrect, the student must first contact the professor and informally attempt to Resolve the issue before beginning a formal, written grade appeal.  If no satisfactory resolution is reached, the student may then proceed with the formal, written, grade appeal process, as noted below.  A formal, written grade appeal must be started no later than the last day of classes of the first long (regular) semester which follows receipt of the disputed grade. For example, to appeal a grade received for a class completed during the fall semester, the student has until the last day of the following spring semester to begin the written appeal.
The only grounds for a student to appeal a final, semester grade are:
1.   The grade is allegedly based on an error in calculation.
2.   The grade allegedly did not follow the grading criteria as stated in the course syllabus
It shall be the responsibility of the student to prove that the grade is incorrect or unjustified. Students may not appeal disagreements based on teaching methodologies, attendance policies, or grade weighting methods. During the term of the course it is the student’s responsibility to communicate any concerns he/she may have about the course or grade to the Professor.  An appeal will not be heard at any level unless the proper appeal steps have been followed.  Academic Dishonesty issues go through the Academic Dishonesty process, not through the Grade Appeal Process.
Process for a formal, written Grade Appeal
I.  Written Appeal to Professor
a. The student is to obtain the Formal Grade Appeal Form from the Academic Division in which the course was offered or from the Registrar’s Office.
b. The student is to contact the Professor and provide the Formal Grade Appeal Form with the top section already completed by the student. This is to allow written documentation of reasons for the appeal. This contact with the Professor may be by any method including person-to-person, letter or e-mail. If the Professor is not available, the student should submit the Formal Grade Appeal Form to the Dean who supervises the Professor. (This information may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office or the Vice President for Instruction’s Office.)
c. The Professor will complete his/her part of the Form within 10 business days (Monday – Friday) following receipt of the form from the student.
d. If the Professor agrees with the student request for grade change, within 5 business days of that decision, a Grade Change Form will be initiated by the Professor and submitted to the Registrar.
e. If the Professor does not agree with the student, the grade remains unchanged.
f.  The student may either accept the Professor’s decision or advance the appeal to the appropriate Academic Dean no later than 20 business days following receipt of the Professor’s decision.
II.  Written Appeal to the Academic Dean
a.   The student makes a formal, written appeal to the Academic Dean by submitting a copy of the Grade Appeal Form as completed at the previous level, to the appropriate Dean.
b.   The Dean will complete his / her part of the Form within 10 business days of receiving the formal, written request for appeal from the student.
c.   If the Academic Dean agrees with the student request for a grade change, within 5 business days of that decision, the Dean will have a Grade Change Form initiated.
d.   If the Dean does not agree with the student, the grade remains unchanged.
e.   The Student may either accept the Dean’s decision or advance the appeal to the Vice President for Instruction no later than 20 business days following receipt of the Dean’s decision.
III.  Written Appeal to the Vice President for Instruction
a.   The student requests a formal, written appeal to the Vice President for Instruction by submitting a copy of the Form, as completed at the previous levels, to the Vice President for Instruction.
b.   The Vice President will complete his / her review of the grade appeal request within 10 business days of receiving the formal, written request for appeal from the student.
c.   If the Vice President agrees with the student request for a grade change, within 5 business days of that decision, the Vice President for Instruction will have a Grade Change Form initiated.
d.   If the Vice President does not agree with the student, the grade remains unchanged.  The decision of the Vice President for Instruction is final. No further appeals of this grade may take place.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, is the federal statute that governs student educational records. Everyone who works with student records should be familiar with the law's provisions governing students' rights to access their records, students' rights to amend their records, and students' rights to limit disclosure of personally identifiable information.

Student Educational Records
Education records are records that are directly related to a student and that are maintained by the College. These records include but are not limited to grades, transcripts, class lists, student course schedules, student financial information, and student discipline files. The information may be recorded in any way, including, but not limited to, handwriting, print, computer media, videotape, audiotape, film, microfilm, and e-mail.
Generally, the college will release information only to the student to whom the records belongs. Parental right regarding educational records transfer to the student when he or she enrolls in college. A student can give parents or a third party access to their record by submitting an Authorization to Release Student Information Form. This form is available by visiting the NMJC Help Desk in the Ben Alexander Student Learning Center.
Withhold Directory Information
Both federal and state laws permit New Mexico Junior College to release to the public "directory" information regarding current and former students without the student's consent. Directory information includes: student's name, current address, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth, major field of study, full or part-time status, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of athletic team members, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received and most recent previous educational institution attended by student.
NMJC students can prohibit the release of directory information to the public by bringing a photo ID to the NMJC Help Desk located in the Ben Alexander Student Learning Center or submit a written request. Such requests must be made by the end of the add/drop period for any semester. It will NOT, however, prohibit the release of directory information to entities of NMJC which have a "need to know" to accomplish their required tasks. It further will NOT prohibit NMJC departments from including your name on mailing lists for distribution of materials that are essential to your enrollment at NMJC.
The authorization to restrict directory information remains in effect until the student revokes it. This authorization has no effect on directory information released prior to the completion of this request.

Your T-Bird Web Portal is your online access to NMJC. In the portal you can access your NMJC email, Canvas Online Classroom, NelNet Payment Portal, and Self-Service Banner (SSB) where you can add and drop courses and see your grades online among other tools and resources.

To login for the first time you will need your student ID (A#), date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number. You will receive a new login ID and you will create a new password. (Note: If you have previously used the T-Bird Web portal (prior to May 25, 2018) you will still be required to set up your T-Bird Web Portal as a FIRST TIME USER, as we have switched to a new single sign on site).
Fall and Summer registration typically opens mid-April. Spring registration typically opens mid-November. Consult the NMJC academic calendar for specific dates.
1. You will need access to your New T-Bird Web Portal.
2. Once logged in to your portal, click on Self-Service Banner (SSB).
3. Under the Student Tab, Click Registration.
To Add a Course:
If ADDING a course, click on Look Up Classes. From there, you will select the correct term and the subject. Once you find the course you are taking, click on VIEW SECTIONS. Select the section you want to take by checking the boxes, and then click register. This will then register you for the class. (Note: After clicking register, make sure to check your Student Detail Schedule to show all classes you registered for are showing. Not every class can be registered for online. Some classes require Instructor Approval and/or pre-requisite requirements. Please contact the Help Desk for more information.)
To Drop/Withdraw from a Course:
If DROPPING or WITHDRAWING from a course, under the student and registration tabs, click drop a course. This will show all of the courses you are registered in for the selected term. You then need to select drop or withdraw under the action tab, and then it will drop/withdraw you from the course. (Note: there are specific terms and dates to follow on dropping/withdrawing and adding courses. Please see the academic calendar for specific instructions.)
All copies of official and unofficial transcripts are requested through the National Student Clearing House. No paper requests or orders are accepted, and any phone calls requesting transcripts will be directed to the online ordering website. There are several different delivery and pick-up options that you can choose from when requesting copies. Both official and unofficial transcripts are $5.00 per copy, regardless of delivery method. Copies can be paid for by major credit or debit card on the National Student Clearing House order site. To ensure that your order goes through, you MUST SIGN the online Paperless Consent Form. If you need help with your transcript request orders, click the Transcript Ordering Help link at the bottom of the page or contact the National Student Clearinghouse at 703-742-4200.

If you haven't already taken a placement test (ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer), potential NMJC students are allowed to take the Accuplacer at the NMJC Testing Center, free of charge, for the first attempt. The test is required for students who have not previously taken a placement test and who have not taken their first college level math and English courses. Accuplacer assesses math, English, and reading competencies.

After the first free attempt, re-takes are $5 per section, and to retake the entire assessment, $15.

The testing center will proctor Accuplacer Monday through Friday 8AM-5PM. The last full Accuplacer testers admitted will be at 3PM, although individual section testers may be admitted until 4PM.

Picture ID's (drivers license, school ID with picture, etc.) are required to test.
If you were dropped from one or all of your classes (without you personally initiating the drop), it is likely that the 48 hour window of payment opportunity had passed. After 48 hours from registration, if payment is not made (either paid in full, payment plan set up or financial aid finalized and in place), the registration system will automatically purge you from the course(s).
If there is space in the section, to re-enroll you must contact the Help Desk or re-enroll online.
To be able to see your unofficial, online student records, you must first have access to your T-Bird Web Portal.
1. After successfully logging into your T-Bird Web Portal, click on Self-Service Banner (SSB)
2. Under the Student Tab, click Student Record.
3. Under the Student Record tab you will be able to access Academic "unofficial" transcripts and grades.
To update address and phone number information:
1. Login to your New T-Bird Web Portal
2. Click on Self-Service Banner (SSB)
3. Click on Personal Information on the first page
4. Click on Update Addresses and Phones and insert new information according to the type
To change your name:
1. Bring a photo ID or name change document with the name you wish to change your records to the Help Desk in the Ben Alexander Student Center
2. Fill out the "Personal Information Change Form" given at the Help Desk
3. Help Desk employee will take your change form and photo ID or name change document and present it to the Registrar for approval
An enrollment verification form is a form that shows current semester dates, enrollment status and name and address information. Enrollment verifications are sometimes used as proof for insurance discounts or tuition reimbursement from employers. To receive an Enrollment Verification form, see anyone in the Registrar's Office.
To change your major, see the Help Desk to receive and turn in a Major Change Form or complete the online form here.
Due to FERPA (Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) laws, any student over the age of 18 must give permission to any parties seeking access to academic records. To receive permission the student must initiate the completion of the Student Release of Information Request. This form can be obtained from the NMJC Help Desk.
In District Residents: Lea County residents that have resided in the county at least 90 consecutive days, or have graduated from a Lea County High School. Out Of District Residents: New Mexico residents that have resided in the state for at least 12 consecutive months prior to registration, but live outside Lea County. Out Of State Residents: Anyone residing outside of the state of New Mexico.
To receive your completed degree plan, please contact the counseling department.
To receive a degree plan for a specific program, contact or visit the NMJC Help Desk, or check out our specific program pages.
2. Visit or contact an academic advisor to complete your degree plan
3. Buy your Cap and Gown from the NMJC Bookstore
4. Attend graduation rehearsal and ceremony