May 2020 Commencement Ceremony has been canceled.
Regrettably, the graduation ceremony, previously schedule for
Friday, May 8, has been cancelled as a precautionary measure related to COVID-19.
Perspective graduates should fill out the graduation application below. When it is
confirmed that you have completed all requirement for graduation, your diploma will
be mailed to you in June.
• DEADLINE - April 24th (Diplomas may be delayed if the application is submitted
after this date.)
Students that have purchased caps and gowns for the May 2020 ceremony may return them
to the bookstore for a full refund.
General Graduation Requirements
Candidates for any associate degree offered by NMJC must meet the following minimum
• A minimum of 60 acceptable semester hours must be earned.
• A minimum of 15 semester hours must be earned at NMJC. The remainder may be acceptable
• The students must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
• Transitional and / or developmental courses do not fulfill any of the above requirements.
• Students will not be permitted to graduate if they have unresolved incomplete (I)
grades on their academic record.
Graduation Under a Particular Catalog
All degree requirements must be met according to a single NMJC catalog. Normally this
will be the catalog in effect when the student first enrolls in the college and remains
continuously enrolled until he/she meets the degree requirements. If a student does
not attend for two semesters, he/she will have to begin under the current catalog
in effect. The catalog is published each summer, and its provisions apply during the
following academic year, beginning with the fall semester and extending through the
next summer semester. A student who registers for the first time during a summer session
is subject to the degree requirements set forth in the catalog effect for the fall
semester immediately following the initial enrollment.
Graduation / Degree Posting
All students planning to receive a certificate or degree should complete the Intent
to Graduate form, which is available in the Registrar’s Office and online. Degrees
and certificates are posted to transcripts only after the student has completed all
requirements needed for such a degree or certificate. Transcript postings are made
at the end of the spring, summer, and fall semesters.
Graduation with Honors
Graduation with Honors will be calculated by NMJC using the following criteria:
• The GPA will be determined by using only NMJC courses;
• Students must have completed 30 credit hours of non-developmental courses at NMJC;
• The NMJC cumulative GPA must total 3.5 or higher;
• For the printed commencement program, the calculation will be made only on those
courses that have been completed through the end of the fall semester prior to spring
• For posting to the transcript, the cumulative grade point average to determine honors
will be calculated at the end of the semester in which students complete degree requirements.
A graduation application must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
Students are allowed to apply if they are lacking 1-12 credit hours and intend to
complete these credits before the next spring semester. If a student does not complete
the degree requirements in the allotted time, a new Intent to Graduate Form must be
completed. If an excessive amount of time lapses before the student completes the
degree requirements, the degree plan may no longer be valid.