Common FAQ's

Most frequently asked questions


Yes! NMJC is part of the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE). The WUE program rate is standard for all participating schools: 150% of in-state resident tuition.

Visit our Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) website to find out if you qualify.

Your T-Bird Web Portal is your online access to NMJC. In the portal you can access your NMJC email, Canvas Online Classroom, NelNet Payment Portal, and Self-Service Banner 9 where you can add and drop courses and see your grades online among other tools and resources.

To login for the first time you will need your student ID (A#), date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number. You will receive a new login ID and you will create a new password.

You can find more detailed information on the T-BirdWeb Portal using this link.

If you need to update your verification settings, you need to email for assistance. In the email body please include your student A#, full name, phone number and message stating you need to update your verification phone number and/or email.

We suggest once you are able to login, go in to your account settings and add a second and/or third form of verification.

Fall and Summer registration typically opens mid-April. Spring registration typically opens mid-November. Consult the NMJC academic calendar for specific dates.

There are videos available to show you the registration process. Click here to check them out!

1. You will need access to your T-Bird Web Portal.
2. Once logged in to your portal, click on Student Self-Service Banner 9.
3. Click on add or drop a course.
4. Click on register for classes.
5. Select the correct term.
To Add a Course:

You can search classes by Subject or by typing in a Keyword/CRN #. Once you find the course you need, click on Add. Once you are done adding all the classes you want, click submit. This will then register you for the classes you selected. (Note: You should check your Student Profile to make sure all classes you registered for are showing. Not every class can be registered for online. Some classes require Instructor Approval and/or pre-requisite requirements. Please contact the Help Desk for more information.)

To Drop/Withdraw from a Course:

Follow the same steps as above (1-5). While in the Search Criteria page, you will be able to view all of the courses you are registered for the selected term. In the lower left Summary Box, you then select drop/withdraw under the action tab, and then click submit. (Note: there are specific terms and dates to follow on dropping/withdrawing and adding courses. Please see the academic calendar for specific instructions.)

You can print a copy of your unofficial transcripts through your T-BirdWeb Portal. Simply login, go to your Student Self-Service Banner 9, click on Student Profile, and then select Academic Transcript.

You can also request official and unofficial transcripts through National Student Clearinghouse. No paper requests are accepted, and any phone calls requesting transcripts will be directed to the online ordering website. 

To ensure that your order goes through, you MUST SIGN the online Paperless Consent Form. If you need help with your transcript request orders, click the Transcript Ordering Help link at the bottom of the page or contact the National Student Clearinghouse at 703-742-4200.

If you haven't already taken a placement test (ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer), potential NMJC students are allowed to take the Accuplacer at the NMJC Testing Center, free of charge for the first attempt. After the first free attempt, re-takes are $5 per section, and to retake the entire assessment, $15.

Accuplacer assesses math, English, and reading competencies. The test is required for students who have not previously taken a placement test and who have not taken their first college level math and English courses.

The testing center will proctor Accuplacer Monday through Friday 8AM-5PM. Visit their website to set up your testing appointment. Picture ID's (drivers license, school ID with picture, etc.) are required to test.

We also offer online proctoring. Fill out the voucher available on our Online Proctoring page. You will then receive information from College Board with your next steps. This option is not related to NMJC. We do not take payment or set up your appointment.

If you were dropped from one or all of your classes (without you personally initiating the drop), there are two possibilities of why this happened.

Your course could have gotten cancelled. If this were the reason why, you would've received an email notification via your NMJC email.

Secondly, it is likely that the 48 hour window of payment opportunity passed. After 48 hours from registration, if payment is not made (either paid in full, payment plan set up, or financial aid finalized and in place), the registration system will automatically purge you from the course(s).

You can re-enroll for your courses. You can do so online, or you can contact the Help Desk. Once you have registered again, you can pay in full at the cashier's window in Ben Alexander. Or you can go to Nelnet, available through your T-BirdWeb Portal, to set up your payment plan.

To be able to see your unofficial, online student records, you must first have access to your T-Bird Web Portal.

1. After successfully logging into your T-Bird Web Portal, click on Self-Service Banner 9.
2. Under the Student Services Page click on Student Profile.
3. Click on Academic Transcript.
4. Under transcript level you can select "All Levels"; and under transcript type select "Web." You will be able to access Academic "unofficial" transcripts and grades.
To update address and phone number information:
1. Login to your T-Bird Web Portal
2. Click on Self-Service Banner 9
3. Click on Student Profile
4. Click on My Personal Information
5. You can then update Addresses and Phones and insert new information according to the type
To change your name:
1. Login to your T-Bird Web Portal
2. Click on Self-Service Banner 9
3. Click on Students, and then Forms
4. Fill out the Personal Information Change

An enrollment verification form is a form that shows current semester dates, enrollment status and name and address information. Enrollment verifications are sometimes used as proof for insurance discounts or tuition reimbursement from employers.

To receive an Enrollment Verification form, see anyone in the Registrar's Office or email

1. Login to your T-Bird Web Portal
2. Click on Self-Service Banner 9
3. Click on Students, and then Forms
4. Fill out the Major Change form
Due to FERPA (Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) laws, any student over the age of 18 must give permission to any parties seeking access to academic records. To receive permission the student must initiate the completion of the Student Release of Information Request. This form can be obtained from the NMJC Help Desk. 
You can find residency information using this link, you will find required documentation and contact information to get your information updated.
In-district Residents: Lea County residents that have resided in the county at least 90 consecutive days, or have graduated from a Lea County High School.
Out-of-district Residents: New Mexico residents that have resided in the state for at least 12 consecutive months prior to registration, but live outside Lea County.
Out-of-state Residents: Anyone residing outside of the state of New Mexico.
TX residents within 135-mile Radius: NMJC offers our out of district rate to Texas students that fall within 135 miles from our NMJC campus. This is an automatic process according to the student's admissions information.

You can utilize our new Degree Works Responsive Dashboard available on your T-BirdWeb Portal. If you are under an old degree plan, please contact the counseling/advising department.

To receive a degree plan for a specific program, contact or visit the NMJC Help Desk, or check out our specific program pages.

  1. Apply for graduation online
  2. Visit our graduation page for ceremony information
  3. Attend graduation rehearsal and ceremony


Ben Alexander Student Center




(575) 492-2577

Canvas Help Desk line


IT Support