High School Equivalency(HSE) and English As a Second Language(ESL)

Steps in Taking the HSE:GED®/HiSET® Tests
HSE:GED®/HiSET® Test Information
After Passing the HSE:GED®/HiSET® Test
Frequently Asked Questions
Transcript Information
English as a Second Language(Inglés como segundo idioma)

Adult Education Program

The NMJC Adult Education Program offers morning and evening classes, free of charge. Classes generally run from August to June each year. The program offers classes for HSE:GED®/HiSET® as well as English as a Second Language.  To enroll, all students must attend a registration and orientation. Classes are offered at variety of locations. The NMJC Adult Education Program Office is located in the Ben Alexander Building in room 205, 575.492-2631.

The adult education program focuses on the following areas:

  • English as a Second Language (ESL)
  • Basic reading, writing, and math
  • HSE:GED®/HiSET® exam preparation
  • Workplace Learning

Upon registering with the program all students will be assessed with the TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education). The results of this assessment will predict HSE:GED®/HiSET® scores and determine the most effective course of study to help students achieve their goals.  For more information contact the Adult Education Program Office, 575.492-2631.

Adult Education Frequently Asked Questions

What is HSE?

High School Equivalency Certificate, used to be called the GED®. Now the GED® (computer) is one of the exams you can take, the other being HiSET® (pencil and paper).


What is the cost of attending classes?

The program and services are free to adults, 16 and 17 year olds must first obtain permission from their local school district and parent or guardian. Underage permission forms are located in the program office in the Ben Alexander Building room 205 on the NMJC campus.

How soon can I get my HSE:GED®/HiSET®?

It depends on the individual, assessment levels, number of years you have been out of school, how well prepared you are, and your commitment. Everyone learns at a different pace. All students interested in taking their GED® test are required to take a TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) to determine assessment levels prior to registering for the GED® test.

Do I have to go to a HSE:GED®/HiSET® class?

It is highly recommended that students attend GED® classes to raise their levels. By enrolling in classes students have access to qualified and dedicated teachers, a quiet learning environment, and educational material.

Do I have to enroll in adult education program to study for or take the official HSE:GED®/HiSET® test?

It is to the students’ advantage to study at one of the learning centers before attempting to take official tests to save on time and cost.

Why do I have to retest if I was only gone for a little while?

It depends on how long you were gone and whether or not post-tests were taken. Retesting is required after a 3 month absence.

When can I receive a book?

Upon completion of 40 hours attendance in the program, you will receive a book appropriate to your level or get one in class.

Where do I go to register for the HSE:GED®/HiSET® Test?

Students must register at least one week prior to the scheduled test in the NMJC Ben Alexander Building Room 205.  Call for Testing Dates (575) 492-2631.

Do we need an ID to take the official tests?

Yes. (Drivers’ license, passport, government issued ID card)

Who is eligible to take the HSE:GED®/HiSET® test?

Anyone who is at least 18 years of age or older and not enrolled in high school, pays, and provides an appropriate ID. 16 and 17 year olds must first obtain permission from their local school district and parent or guardian.

Replacement requests for lost/destroyed HSE:GED®/HiSET® transcripts/diplomas need to be sent to www.diplomasender.com

Will passing the HSE:GED®/HiSET® test get me into college?

Yes, HSE:GED®/HiSET® graduates are eligible for college and financial aid, employment, and military service. For more information contact the Adult Education Office.

English as a Second Language (ESL)

English as a Second Language classes assist students in learning to speak, read and write English.  To enroll in ESL classes, students must attend an orientation.  For more information contact the Adult Education Program Office, 575.492-2631 or email ahornik@nmjc.edu.


Online Tutoring