International Students

New Mexico Junior College welcomes your application as an international student, and our staff will make every effort to assist you. Our admission requirements conform to the regulations of the United States government for issuing F-1 visas. In compliance with F-1 visa requirements, New Mexico Junior College will only award Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees to Regular Degree-Seeking On-Campus international students.

Prospective students who wish to receive an F-1 visa must complete the International Student Application and submit the required documents to the Registrar's Office.

Click here for the New Mexico Junior College International Student Application

Mail the following items to us to complete your application:

1.       English Proficiency: If you are from a country in which English is not the official language you must provide proof of English language proficiency. The following may be used as proof of proficiency:

* Completion of four years of US high school with a 2.0 GPA or better

* Completion of high school in English-Speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.

* ACT English score of 19 or better (test not REQUIRED for admission)

* SAT Verbal score of 480 or better (pre-March 2016 exam) or Read/Write score of 500 or better (post-March 2016 exam) (SAT exam is not REQUIRED for admission)

* 1 year of full-time study (minimum 24 credit hours) at a regionally-accredited US college or university with a 3.0 GPA or higher

* Completion of one semester of freshman English composition with a grade of "C" or higher at a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university.

* Bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited US college or university or a recognized institution in English-Speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.

* Official score on the International version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 500 (paper-based), or 173 (computerized), or 72 (Internet) with a minimum score of 18 on each section. (scores valid for 2 years) (To receive information about the TOEFL, call 609-771-7100 or write: Educational Testing Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151 USA.)

*Official score on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of 6.0 or higher. (scores valid for 2 years)

2.       Academic Records: New Mexico Junior College requires official copies of high school, secondary, and university transcripts. Notarized, faxed copies or photocopies of these documents are not acceptable. Certified copies must contain the original signature(s), stamp(s) or seal(s) of the issuing institution’s designated official. Students who have no prior college or university credit must submit evidence of graduation from an acceptable secondary school and must be eligible for admission to a recognized university in their home country. The official transcript must be an original copy translated into English and must show each course completed and grade earned. You may have your transcripts evaluated by a credentials evaluation agency, such as the World Education Service ( We will waive the WES requirement if your official transcripts are in English from an accredited school and on a four-point scale.

3.       Financial Documents: Proof of financial ability to remain at New Mexico Junior College must be submitted prior to issuance of an I-20. Complete and return the NMJC Certificate of Financial Responsibility with required supporting documentation. The applicant must provide proof of adequate financial support for at least one full year of study at NMJC (minimum of $15,000).

4.       Photocopy of student’s passport.

Once all requirements for admission have been satisfied, an I-20 will be issued to the eligible student.

General Information & Policies affecting F-1 VISA holders:

  1. Students must maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. Only one (3 hour) Internet or distance education course will count towards full-time enrollment requirements.
  2. The student is required to inform the International Student Office of the following changes immediately: If the student changes address; If the student legally changes their name; If the student changes their major; If the student enrolls in another institution; If the student intends to transfer.
  3. International students may work on-campus, if positions are available. International students may not work off-campus unless the student receives an Employment Authorization Document from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Government regulations require international students to certify that they have finances deemed sufficient by the College while pursuing their degree without employment. Thus, international students should not expect to support themselves through employment while attending NMJC.

Transfers from U.S. Institutions: If currently “in status” under a F Visa, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services must be notified when an international student transfers from one U.S. institution to another. Once a student is admitted, NMJC will provide a “transfer-in form” that will need to be completed by the previous U.S. institution and submitted to NMJC to release the active Visa information for update. However, if a student is “out of status” with USCIS, that student should reinstate him/herself with USCIS prior to enrolling at NMJC. Questions regarding a student’s immediate immigration status must be directed to the international registrar. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the correct visa and to maintain the appropriate immigration status while in the United States.

Application Deadlines for International Students:

April 1: Fall Semester which begins in August

September 1: Spring Semester which begins in January