- AAS Cosmetology
- AAS Barbering
- Barbering Certificate
- Cosmetology Certificate
- Cosmetology Instructor Certificate
- Esthetician Certificate of Completion
- Manicurist/Facial Specialist Certificate of Completion
- Manicurist/Pedicurist Certificate of Completion
- Course Descriptions
About NMJC Cosmetology
New Mexico Junior College's Cosmetology program is an opportunity for you to enter a challenging and rewarding career field. Cosmetology is a respected profession which offers the satisfaction of helping people. A cosmetologist's career can lead to many opportunities like Nail Technician, Cosmetic Consultant, Sales Representative for major companies, Salon Owner, or a Cosmetology School Owner.
Options at NMJC
At New Mexico Junior College you may select your career goal and adapt the program to meet your individual needs. Students may prepare for the five entry level jobs:
- Cosmetology – designed to provide basic skills and knowledge that can lead to a career in Cosmetology. Either degree or certificate is approved by the New Mexico State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists. The degree requires 43 credit hours in the core which is equal to 1600 clock hours and 21 credit hours in general education which totals 64 credit hours. Degree Plan>> Certificate>>
- Barber – designed to provide basic skills and knowledge that can lead to a career in Barbering. The certificate is approved by the New Mexico State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists. The certificate requires 32 credit hours in the core which is equal to 1200 clock hours. Degree Plan >> Certificate >>
- Nail Tech (Manicuring/Pedicuring) – this class is for certificate only; it is approved by the New Mexico Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists. The certificate requires 350 clock hours which equals to 9 credit hours.Certificate of Completion >>
- Esthetician – this course is a certificate only; it is approved by the New Mexico Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists. The certificate requires 600 clock hours which equals to 15 credit hours. Certificate of Completion >>
- Instructors – the pre-requisite for this program is a degree in Cosmetology and is approved by the New Mexico Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists. This certificate requires 32 credit hours in the core equal to 1000 clock hours. Certificate >>
How to Be Admitted
Admission is a two-step process. First you are admitted to New Mexico Junior College and then to the Cosmetology program through the New Mexico Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists.
To apply to the cosmetology program you will need to:
- Complete an application to the College
- Complete an application to the cosmetology program
- Present proof of high school graduation or GED
- Have official transcripts of high school and other college programs sent to the registrar's office
- Complete ACT or COMPASS for Reading
Requirements must be completed by May 1 for Fall and December 1 for Spring admissions. Late admissions will only be considered if space is available.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Birth Certificate or picture ID
- 17 years old
- Application to Board (see Director of Cosmetology)
- Fifteen dollar money order (no personal checks)
Processing of Applications:
Admission to New Mexico Junior College does not mean admission to the cosmetology program. The cosmetology requirements must also be met, and space must be available in the program. Students are responsible to verify their application.
Admission to the cosmetology program in the fall semester is only considered after all prerequisites are met. Prerequisites must be completed by May 1, the spring semester, prior to entering the program.
Students must also be in good academic standing with the institution upon admission into the program and at the time the program actually commences. Students will be prioritized for admission consideration if requirements are not met by May 1 or December 1 prior to commencing the cosmetology program in the fall or Spring unless space is available. See the Director of Cosmetology for specific guidelines applicable to the Cosmetology Department.
Excellent Education at Low Cost
New Mexico Junior College cosmetology facilities and equipment are among the finest in the Southwest, yet the cost to the student for an excellent education remains low.
NMJC Cosmetology is accredited by:
- New Mexico Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists
- North Central Association
For additional information contact:
Maria Vick – Professor/Coordinator, Cosmetology
Careers and Technology Division
New Mexico Junior College
1 Thunderbird Circle
Hobbs, NM 88240